2013/03/23

Quick review about how I got my apartment

Our University has its own dormitory and there would have been also lovely single person rooms (although very small ones). But I had already last summer decided that I want to have an apartment from private market on the city centrum. Biggest reason for this is that since I am naturally lazy person, I would have probably stayed in the campus area most of my exchange time and only come to the centrum during the weekends.

And now? Well my apartment (or actually my room) is in the old town area with only 2 stops from the people square (takes about 10 minutes to get from my home door to the people square).  The closest metro stop is only 2 minutes walking. And the trip to school last about 30-40 minutes depending on the time of the day. For me, this is also okay. At least I can’t now sleep until there’s only 15 minute to lecture begin and then rush straight from the bed to lecture only brushing teeth in the middle like it was quite normally for me in Skinnarila. Also the walk to French Concession area (or actually to Hengshan Lu/ My favorite Irish bar here) takes only 30 minutes.

So how did I get my apartment? Last spring there were two of my friends staying in Shanghai and they gave me a contact details for a local student-based company who are especially focused on finding apartments for international students. So I contacted these two guys from the company already last autumn. During the autumn we had a email thread about my expectations, what area I want to focus, where is my school, in which price range the rent should be, etc. When I arrived to Shanghai late on Monday evening, I already knew that I would only need a hotel for the first night. On the second day morning Sergio came to pick me up from my hotel and showed me in total of 7 apartments in mine desired area. If I wouldn’t have been happy with those, they would have find more. I checked through all the apartments and number 4 became my favourite. 1.) It was close to the metro 2.) The apartment was in really good condition 3.) I would only have to change metro once on my school trip 4.) There’s straight connection to people’s square 5.) European room mates 6.) The rent is only 2000 RMB per month.

Okay my room is very very small (Mum is coming next month so I think I’ll take the sofa for that week and let mom sleep in my room), but I have my own balcony and we have a HUGE living room, working kitchen and like already mentioned, the location is just awesome. After I decided to take the room, Sergio and the landlady took care of everything for me. Registration to the local police station for temporary residence permit, opening the water/gas/internet. And what did I pay for all of this? 30% of my first month rent so 600 RMB. And additionally I got a large welcome package to Shanghai with all the good restaurants, bars, clubs, activities, etc. and montly newsletters about what kind of networking events/activities Sergio’s company organizes for us (= international students/interns) for free or for extremely low price (like cooking course for 150 RMB). So it was a win-win for both parties. And I am still very happy about my apartments.
And my room mates are super nice! Dutch girl and French girl with whom I get along very well.

Here are pics of my winner apartment!

Living room and "main" balcony

Kitchen

My box


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti